Daredevils, thrill seekers and adrenaline junkies – listen up! We’ve created the ultimate list of the most exhilarating and thrilling attractions and activities of Hocking Hills. If you want to get your heart racing and your blood pumping, test your fears with this to-do list. But don’t worry, our list works up to the most daring Hocking Hills activities. How far can you make it on the list?
Hocking Hills Scenic Air Tours: Fly high above the beautiful southern Ohio hills. Test your fear of heights and explore the sky trails with Hocking Hills Scenic Air Tours! Nothing beats the views if you can stomach the distance between you and the ground! Book your reservation online now, thrill seekers.
Hocking Hills Adventures Fun Center Go Karting: If heights are too much for you, speed across the ground instead! Visit the Hocking Hills Adventures Fun Center and drive like a racecar driver on the figure-eight go-kart track! Find more information and pricing on the website if you dare.
Hocking Hills Hot Air Ballooning: Who needs a plane? If heights are your thing, hop in a basket and ascend into the bright blue Hocking Hills sky. Hot air ballooning will get an adrenaline junkie’s blood pumping with one look over the side of the basket! Visit the website to make a reservation.
Rock Climbing and Rappelling: Earth Water Rock adventures is the place to get the adrenaline flowing. Choose to challenge yourself to a steep rock climb or test your limits with a thrilling rappel down a cliff side. Learn more information and make reservations on the website.
Ziplining: More than a quarter mile long, reaching speeds faster than 50 mph, the SuperZip! is the ultimate activity for dare devils! Start by climbing to the 75-foot-high launch pad, and then plunge into the forest, zip by trees feet away and cross the middle of the Hocking River. Oh, did we mention the super hero flying position? If you’re not daring enough, you could check out other canopy tours on the website.
Giant Swing: Dare to try the Giant Swing? Get pulled up nearly 50 feet where you have to find the guts to pull a rip cord, sending you into a freefall before the swing grabs a hold of you. Swing back and forth in the valley for 30 seconds before coming to a stop. Make a reservation on the website for quite the adrenaline rush.
ATVing: Hocking Hills Nature Trails caters to dare devils, offering the first in the world ZipRail, cat swing rides and ATV rentals. Step it up to the next level and take your ATV through the Monster Dash Mud Run. Check out the gallery on the website and then make your reservations.
How daring do you feel?
Whether you’re a musician, music lover, or just love summer events, you’ll be excited to learn that we have a variety of music festivals coming up this summer in Hocking Hills! Mark your calendars for these unique celebrations, featuring music to appeal to a variety of tastes, ages and more:
- May 25 & 26: Duck Creek Log Jam
- May 30 – June 2: Nelsonville Music Festival
- June 13 – 15: Washboard Music Festival
- June 27 – 30: Family Roots Music Festival
- July 12 – 14: Lilyfest
- July 10 – 15: Laurelville Fireman’s Old Time Festival
- August 15 – 18: Rootwire Music and Arts Festival
AND, we’re even giving our readers tickets to Duck Creek Log Jam festival! That’s right, we have two pairs of tickets to give away to this self-described, “homegrown, off-the-beaten-path music festival set in Ohio’s most scenic region. Stomp your feet, holler out loud, meet new friends, party the night away & enjoy the great outdoors during this truly unique festival.” The festival lineup can be found here.
To enter to win, simply comment and share your favorite summer event in Hocking Hills. Respond with a comment to this post, and don’t forget to leave your email address so we can contact you if you win. Not sure what’s going on this summer? Here’s our month-by-month calendar.
All comments must be entered as a reply to this post and received by 11:59 p.m. (ET) on May 12th to qualify for the prize. Two winners will receive a pair of tickets to the music festival. The winners will be selected at random, using the True Random Number Generator, and will be notified the week of May 14, 2013. The email address provided will be our only means to notify the winner. If the selected winner does not reply to our email with their mailing address within 3 days, we will select another winner at random.
Mandatory Entry: Comment on this blog post before May 13 with your favorite Hocking Hills summer event.
Extra Entries (Please leave a separate comment on the blog for each entry):
Maximize your chances to win by entering all four ways, and remember to leave a comment letting us know that you’ve followed or liked us on these networks. Best of luck!
We’re excited to let you know that we have another giveaway going on right now on our Facebook page! You could win a $50 gift certificate to the Brass Ring Restaurant in Hocking Hills, simply by sharing your information with us on Facebook.
Never been to the Brass Ring Restaurant? How can you NOT want to go after seeing this picture of the famous Chocolate Volcano Cake?
All you have to do is fill out your info on our Giveaways page. Invite your friends and family to enter the sweepstakes as well – if they enter to win, you get an additional entry into the sweepstakes.
Hocking Hills is a great place for pairs! Whether it’s you and your significant other, you and your mom, or you and your best friend, Hocking Hills has a variety of fun activities for daring duos. Here are some things to get you started:
Adventure Golf at Remple’s Grove: Challenge your sidekick to this unique 18-hole miniature golf course, featuring a cave, waterfall, streams and bridges. Surrounded by flowers, the course lets you escape the Hocking Hills sun under the shade of 100-year-old oak trees.
Hocking Hills Hot Air Ballooning: Do something truly unforgettable as a pair – share a basket in the air! Great for first dates, just friends or even the perfect proposal. Hot air ballooning is an unmatchable surprise your partner will never forget.
Hocking Hills Scenic Air Tours: Enjoy a picturesque flight over the beautiful Hocking Hills, starting at $75 for two. Choose from a 20-60 minute flight and fly to breakfast, lunch or dinner at nearby airports. Make it extra romantic with a unique sunset and night flight.
Hocking Hills Adventures: Canoe, kayak, raft or tube down the Hocking River with your buddy. If love is in the air for you and your pair, taking the Romantic Moonlight tour or Torchlight tour is the way to float! Prefer to stay on land? Try Hocking Hills Adventures Go-Karts, mini-golf or driving range.
Hocking Hills Canopy Tours: If you’re looking for a fun, daring adventure, the Hocking Hills Canopy Tours is for your duo! Ride the Super Zip with your partner in crime and travel over 1,400 feet! The canopy tour offers thrill seekers the unique opportunity to zip through the treetops on a network of cables and adventure skybridges suspended high above the forest floor. If your duo includes a little one, try out Dragon Fly – the zipline adventure for kids ages 5-12.
Blue Moon Acres: Relax and experience a personal horseback riding adventure. Specializing in couples and small groups, Blue Moon allows you to explore the beautiful and rugged trails of Hocking Hills.
Don’t waste any more time! Plan the perfect getaway and spend quality time exploring and adventuring through Hocking Hills with your better half.
Rain, rain go away, I wanted to go to Hocking Hills today! Think that a rainy day means you’ll have to postpone your Hocking Hills visit? Think again! For those that don’t want to put on their rain boots and go for a hike in the rain, Hocking Hills offers a variety of activities to keep you warm and dry and help you beat those rainy day blues.
Explore a Museum
Hocking Hills has a variety of museums in the area for you to choose from! Depending on your interests, explore an amazing collection of more than 3,400 pencil sharpeners or learn about the Native American presence in Hocking County. Some museums to visit on a rainy day include:
- The Pencil Sharpener Museum: Reverend Paul Johnson began his personal collection more than 20 years ago, and today Hocking Hills hosts the largest collection of pencil sharpeners in the U.S.
- The Columbus Washboard Factory: This is not only a museum, but the Columbus Washboard Factory is the only remaining washboard manufacturer in the U.S.
- The Bowen House: A community center for arts and education, The Bowen House also features art exhibits. Last month featured the Seedlings Art Exhibit.
- Hocking County Historical Society and Museum: Experience Hocking Hills history and learn about the Native American presence in Hocking County, as well as the Lutz Steam Car, a 1881 furnished Victorian home, a military display, antique farm implements and the railway telegraph office.
- The Glass Museum: Visit the glass blowing studio and watch an expert blow glass right before your eyes. Or, try glass blowing yourself! Take a glass blowing class and create a glass flower, ornament or paperweight.
Spend the Day at the Spa
The beautiful, serene wilderness of the Hocking Hills region is the perfect setting for a relaxing day at the spa. What’s more soothing than the gentle sound of the surrounding rainfall? Some of the spas in Hocking Hills include:
- Blue Valley Massage & Traveling Spa: Experience the ultimate relaxation with Blue Valley’s team of licensed massage therapists. Relax and let them travel to you, wherever you’re staying.
- The Spa at Cedar Falls: The Spa at Cedar Falls offers a variety of spa treatments and packages, including couples massages and a “learn to massage your mate” experience!
Visit a Winery
Sip on a glass of locally made wine while you watch the rain fall throughout the Hocking Hills. Next time, consider stopping by one of the local wineries:
- Rockside Vineyards: Sample wines made onsite from the ten different varieties of grapes grown at Rockside.
- Shade Winery: Shade Winery offers a variety of wines for every taste, along with local goat cheese and crackers.
Even More Rainy Day Activities
Still not had enough? Here are some more ways to spend your rainy days in Hocking Hills:
- Hocking Hills Candleworks: Mix and match fragrances to create your own personally scented, unique pure soy candle at Hocking Hills Candleworks.
- Scenic Way Gifts & Art Glass Studio: Try a hands-on stained glass workshop and learn basic copper foil stained glass techniques.
- The Cooking Studio at Shaw’s Inn: Try a cooking class and learn new recipes at Shaw’s Inn! End class with lunch paired with an optional glass or bottle of wine and a set of recipes for you to take home.
What’s your favorite rainy day activity in Hocking Hills?
Hey, you! Yes you, with the camera. You know who you are – you’re constantly posting pictures on Facebook, uploading to Instagram and snapping photos with your expensive camera or even your smart phone. Your friends may groan every time you take out the device, but they thank you later when you’ve documented their whole trip.
Does this sound like you? You’ll be excited to learn that it’s almost time for the largest photo contest in Ohio and it’s happening right here in our beloved Hocking Hills. Held annually in the Hocking Hills Region, Shoot the Hills primarily promotes nature photography. Grab your camera, channel your inner photographer and join us April 19-21 for the 12th annual Shoot the Hills contest. This year, participants will be competing for more than $5,000 in cash and prizes!
What’s New with Shoot the Hills
New location: Due to the growth of the competition, Shoot the Hills is moving down the road from its location last year, the Hocking Hills Dining Lodge, to Camp Oty’Okwa. Camp Oty’Okwa is a privately owned and preserved 700-acre gem in the Hocking Hills, operated by Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Ohio.
New competition divisions: Shoot the Hills is embracing technology and evolving digital photography this year with two new divisions:
- SNAP & APP embraces smartphone photography and encourages participants visiting the competition area to “See it, Shoot it, Send it” via an online app. Photos may be uploaded and voted on by the public from November 1, 2012 through April 20, 2013. Three prizes will be awarded in the Snap & App division: Highlight of the Hills, People’s Choice (online votes) and a Grand Prize.
- SIMPLY CREATIVE opens up the competition to the use of photo editing software to allow artistic creativity. Photos may have been taken at any time in the competition area. Entries must be received digitally by April 20 at 7:00 pm. Photos will be reviewed by the panel of judges. First, second, third place and honorable mention will be awarded.
Technical Division (Traditional 24-Hour Weekend Event)
What can one photographer do with one camera, one memory card, and one 24-hour day? Participants may enter one-time in one of the levels below. The entry fee gives each participant the ability to submit 5 photos and 1 photographer’s choice photo in their level.
- SIMPLY STARTING (Beginner Level): This level is for beginning photographers who have not “placed” in a prior Shoot the Hills competition. Participants may use a point and shoot or digital SLR camera. All camera features may be used. No post-process editing is permitted.
- SIMPLY SNAP (Intermediate Level): This level is for intermediate photographers who enjoy making the most of their camera’s features. Participants may use a point and shoot or digital SLR camera. All camera features may be used. No post-process editing is permitted.
- SIMPLY RAW (Advanced Level): This level is for advanced photographers who want to showcase their technical skills. Only the RAW files will be submitted.
Stick around the whole weekend! Sunday morning, April 21, a few of the 2013 judges will share tips, techniques and recommendations. Take a look at some of our past participants’ photos, and get inspired to join in this year’s great event.
Looking for yet another way to find adventure in Hocking Hills? Try out our new GeoTrails! There are currently hundreds of geocaches throughout the region, and the first of the Hocking Hills Tourism Assocation’s three new themed GeoTrails is now published on geocaching.com and ready for you to explore. The Adventure GeoTrail consists of 10 caches located at various adventure attractions throughout the Hocking Hills.
What is geocaching? Geocaching is an outdoor, high-tech treasure hunt that uses GPS coordinates and online clues to guide participants to hidden caches. These caches are typically small containers with little treasures and a log-in sheet.
Sound like fun? The caches part of the Adventure GeoTrail are:
- Lazy River
- Bird’s Eye View
- Giddy Up
- Roy & Dale
- Come Fly With Me
- Pony Tail
- Kick Up Your Heels
Each of the caches has a cache number and a keyword that you’ll use to fill out an HHTA Adventure GeoTrail Passport. Fill in the keywords correctly and receive a prize! Trackable geocoins will be awarded to the first 100 geocachers or geocaching teams that complete the trail.
Ready to begin? Stop by the Hocking Hills Welcome Center at 13178 St. Rt. 664 S, Logan, Ohio (N 39° 32.180 W 082° 26.678) to pick up a Passport before you start the Adventure GeoTrail. Or, visit geocaching.com to get the coordinates and some clues first, find the caches and then fill out your Passport at the Welcome Center.
Stay tuned for some new caches this spring when we’ll launch the History GeoTrail (with caches at historical museums and sites) and the Treasures GeoTrail (with caches located at shops and galleries throughout the Hocking Hills).